19 Mar Press Release: Coronavirus (Covid-19)
Based on the fatwa of the Committee of Senior Scholars and as well as the UK government guidance, Assunnah Islamic Centre (AIC) will be CLOSED from Friday 20th March 2020. Our last congregational prayer will be Isha tonight (Thursday 19th March 2020). This decision was not taken lightly and has been done to prevent the further spread of the coronavirus in the UK.
We have a duty of care towards our staff, volunteers, congregation and community. The preservation of life takes precedence over everything else and for this reason, we are cancelling all major activities at the Centre. This includes:
- Jummah prayers
- Daily salah (congregational prayers)
- Madrasah and educational classes
- Assunnah School (nursery to primary)
- Talks, conferences and other regular lectures
In replacement of Jummah, one prays Dhuhr as per usual (four units of prayer).
بِسْمِ اللَّهِ الَّذِي لَا يَضُرُّ مَعَ اسْمِهِ شَيْءٌ فِي الْأَرْضِ وَلَا فِي السَّمَاءِ وَهُوَ السَّمِيعُ الْعَلِيمُ
Bismillaahil-lathee laa yadhurru ma’as-mihi shay’un fil-’ardhi wa laa fis-samaa’i
wa Huwas-Samee ‘ul- ‘Aleem.
In the Name of Allah, Who with His Name nothing can cause harm in the earth nor in the heavens, and He is the All-
Hearing, the All-Knowing. (Three times).
Whoever recites it in the morning will not be afflicted by any calamity before evening, and whoever recites it in the
evening will not be overtaken by any calamity before morning.
[Abu Dawud 4/323, At-Tirmithi 5/465, Ibn Majah 2/332, Ahmad]
PROTECTING OURSELVES FROM THE ILLNESS OF THE VIRUS (TAKING STRONG PRECAUTION)
- wash your hands with soap and water often – do this for at least 20 seconds
- always wash your hands
- do not touch your eyes, nose or mouth if your hands are not clean
- use hand sanitiser gel if soap and water are not available
- cover your mouth and nose with a tissue or your sleeve (not your hands) when you cough or sneeze
- put used tissues in the bin immediately and wash your hands afterwards
- avoid close contact with people who have symptoms of coronavirus
- use phone, online services, or apps to contact your GP surgery or other NHS services
Please keep yourselfs updated with the latest updates from the Department of Health and Social Care:
Finally, we pray that Allah protects us all during this testing time.
Assunnah Islamic Centre – Management